Aquatint engraving, part printed in colours, by George Hunt after M Jones. Published in C & R Sickelmore’s Select Views of Brighton, c1826.
The scene shows the turning of Market Street on the right, with the East Cliff fishermen on the shore. The boats of the West Street fishermen are in the distance, and there was great rivalry between these two groups.
In J G Bishop’s A Peep into the Past: Brighton in the Olden Time he writes about the Star & Garter public house ‘and the beach, a flight of wooden steps, entirely unprotected, leading directly from the road to the beach, and the sea washed up them at high tide’. Soon after this print was published the narrow seafront road was widened, with better sea defences, making a thoroughfare from Marine Parade, past the southern end of the Steine and onto the King’s Road. Obstructions like the capstan, in the middle of the road, far right, were removed.
Illustrated in Old Brighton, Old Preston, Old Hove by Frederick Harrison and James North, 44 Market Street, Brighton, 1937, p 110.
Also illustrated in Old Brighton: A Collection of Prints, Paintings and Drawings by Eileen Hollingdale. George Nobbs Publishing, 1979, p 58.