Aquatint engraving by George Hunt after the architect’s drawing by A H Wilds, c1825.
On the far left is West Hill Lodge, Lady Gosford’s home, where Waitrose now stands on the corner of Montpelier and Western Road, and to the immediate right of the proposed main Terrace is Hampton Lodge, BPC00154. This development, on the north side of what is now Western Road, was never built. The land was later used for the development of the nine houses of Codrington Place, two of which still stand on the southern side of the exit from the Waitrose car park.
Illustrated in The Victorian Development of the Clifton, Montpelier and Powis Estates of Brighton by Steve Myall. Pomegranate Press, 2008, p 166.
Images of Brighton 1217 and illustrated on page 118.