Lithograph by C F Bragge after the architect H E Kendall, c1834. This print must have been Kendall’s proposal for the Rev Henry Wagner’s new vicarage on Montpelier Road. The actual building was expanded into a three gabled frontage by the local architect and builder George Cheesman (see BPC00444), and he placed the front door on the north side of the house, not in the front as did Kendall. Kendall was based in Brunswick Square, London, but he did work in Brighton, building two houses for the Marquess of Bristol in Sussex Square. He also built 24 Belgrave Square in London for Thomas Read Kemp. Presumably Wagner had shown Kendall’s print to Cheesman, who built his version of the house from late 1834 and into 1835. It stood in two acres of ground on the west side of Montpelier Road and is now part of Brighton and Hove High School.
Illustrated in The Victorian Development of the Clifton, Montpelier and Powis Estates of Brighton by Steve Myall. Pomegranate Press, 2008, p 162.