Aquatint engraving, sky printed in colour, no other colouring. Published by Fenner & Tye, Tunbridge Wells, 1 March 1808.
The large building is Donaldson’s Library which stood on the south corner of St James’s Street and Old Steine. The original building on this site was the single storey Gregory’s Library building, founded c1760. In 1806 Mr. Donaldson senior completely rebuilt the library to the design shown in this print.
This popular print was republished by Izard, St James’s Street, c1810.
All images of libraries:
Hover over the image to see the image number followed by the name of the library.
Click on any image to see its full entry.