Wood engraving published in J G Bishop’s 1880 and 1892 editions of A Peep into the Past: Brighton in the Olden Time. The first library on the Steine was built on the east side by the Tunbridge Wells librarian, Mr Baker, in 1760. By 1767, Mr Woodgate had built a rival to this at the south of the Steine, and it was these premises that were taken over by Miss Widgett. Several other proprietors followed her.
All images of libraries:
Hover over the image to see the image number followed by the name of the library.
Click on any image to see its full entry.