(this is a very small original image – see note on image sizes)
Copperplate line engraving published at Wises Manufactory, Tunbridge Town, c1827. No artist or engraver is mentioned. The large building is Lucombe’s Library which stood on the south corner of St James’s Street and Old Steine. The original building on this site was the single storey Gregory’s Library, founded c1760. In 1806 the new library owner, Mr. Donaldson senior, completely rebuilt the library to that as shown in this print. He occupied the building until about 1827, when it was taken over by Lucombe’s Library. Mr. Lucombe was well known for his comic recitations, and annual membership of his library in 1827 cost £1.11s.6d.
All images of libraries:
Hover over the image to see the image number followed by the name of the library.
Click on any image to see its full entry.