Copperplate line engraving by Neale & Son, published by S Leigh, Strand, London and included in Leigh’s booklet of 1820, New Pictures of England and Wales.
The largest building, just right of centre, is Donaldson’s Library. In The Brighton Ambulator published in 1818, the library is recommended for its ‘spacious accommodation’ and as an ‘agreeable rendezvous for the gay and polite’. Donaldson’s catalogue of books contained 15,000 volumes. Immediately to the left of the library, the gap in the building line shows the beginning of St. James’s Street.
All images of libraries:
Hover over the image to see the image number followed by the name of the library.
Click on any image to see its full entry.